Monday, September 29, 2008

One of God's Unique Plants-The Moon Flower

A couple of years ago my dad gave me a bag of moon flower seeds. I have loved these beautiful flowers. Last year I had to cut them back because they were taking over my bushes. I wasn't sure if they would grow back this year but I have one good size plant that grew. These flowers are really unique because they only bloom at night..and the flower dies the day after it blooms. It's really too bad the flower doesn't stay pretty longer for us to enjoy. I'm not sure if there are other types of moon flowers that do stay pretty longer. We've been keeping an eye on this last bud for the past few days. I told Cade yesterday that I was pretty sure it would bloom tonight. When we went out earlier today I could tell that tonight would be the night for it to open up. I've watched several of these flowers bloom over the past 2 years. It's really neat to stand outside as it's getting dark and watch the flower slowly open up. Tonight we all got to stand outside and watch as God worked his magic on this beautiful plant. The boys were thrilled to actually see the flower moving!!.

We didn't get outside early enough for me to take a picture of the petals completely folded up. This first picture was taken at 6:47 p.m. It had already started opening up!

Here is what it looked like at 6:53 p.m.

By 7:00 it had completely opened up. Isn't it a pretty flower!

The boys and their moon flower!

No comments: